Over a dozen Legion branches celebrate upcoming sporting event for Veterans
OTTAWA, ON, 23 August 2017 – Royal Canadian Legion branches in Victoria and Comox, British Columbia were two of the inaugural stops on the cross-country Invictus Games National Flag Tour now traveling across Canada.
The tour is raising awareness and involving as many Canadians as possible as momentum builds for the Veterans who will participate in the athletic Games being held this year in Toronto from September 23-30. The official Invictus Flag is being carried by 150 Flagbearers along the journey to help share the spirit of the Games.
The Royal Canadian Legion is a signature sponsor of the Invictus Games and many of its branches across the country are hosting additional Flag Tour stops as follows. All times are local:
- Victoria - Wed. Aug 16, 4:00 pm / Branch 91 at 761 Station Ave.
- Comox - Thur. Aug 17, 4:30 pm / Branch 160 at 1825 Comox Ave.
- Red Deer - Wed. Aug. 23, 4:00 pm / Branch 35 at 2810 Bremner Ave.
- Drumheller - Sun. Aug. 27, 2:30 pm / Branch 22 at 295 Centre St.
- Winnipeg - Wed. Aug. 30, 5:00 pm / Branch 4 at 1755 Portage Ave.
- Gander - Mon. Sept.4, 11:00 am / Branch 8 Legion will join CFB Gander at Washington Ave.
- Halifax - Mon. Sept. 4, 3:00 pm / Branch 142 at 50 Hillcrest St.
- Goose Bay - Tues. Sept.5, 2:00 pm / Branch 51 at 172 Hamilton River Rd.
- Moncton - Thur. Sept. 7, 5:00 pm / Branch 6 at 100 War Veterans Ave.
- Fredericton - Fri. Sept. 8, 5:30 pm / Branch 4 at 199 Queen St.
- Quebec City - Wed. Sept. 13, Time 9:00 am / Branch 265 will join CFB Valcartier at Autoroute de la Bravoure
- Montreal - Wed. Sept. 13, 6:00 pm / Branch 14 at 4625 Ste-Catherine St. W.
- Ottawa - Fri. Sept. 15, 4:45 pm / Branch 480 at 391 Richmond Rd.
- North Bay - Mon, Sept. 18, 5:30 pm / Branch 599 at 30 Legion Rd.
- Scarborough - Tue. Sept. 19, 6:00 pm / Branch 13 at 1577 Kingston Rd.
For more information, please contact a specific Legion branch: http://legion.ca/contact-us/find-a-branch
Learn more about the Invictus Games: http://www.invictusgames2017.com
Norm Scott, President of Royal Canadian Legion branch #91 Prince Edward, in Victoria
Frazer Hadwin, Senior Manager of Special Projects of the Toronto 2017 Invictus Games
About The Royal Canadian Legion
Founded in 1925, the Legion is Canada’s largest Veteran support and community service organization. We are a non-profit organization with a national reach across Canada as well as branches in the U.S., Europe and Mexico. With more than 275,000 members, many of whom volunteer an extraordinary amount of time to their branches, our strength is in our numbers.
Public Relations / Media Inquiries: PublicRelations@Legion.ca