Larry Murray is Chair of the Dominion Command Veterans Consultation Assembly and an ex-officio member of the Veterans, Service and Seniors committee. He is a member of Legion’s Dominion Branch 1313 in Ottawa, and has held several key Legion posts over the years including Chair of the Veterans’ Consultation Group and member of several Dominion Command committees.
He retired from the Canadian Armed Forces in 1997, while Acting Chief of the Defence Staff. He served 33 years with The Royal Canadian Navy, and later spent time in the Public Service.
- Appointed Legion Grand President in 2010.
- Current Chair of the Independent Review Panel on Defence Acquisition.
- Member of the Order of Canada, among numerous other distinguished commendations.
- Commander of the Order of Military Merit.
- Awarded the NATO Special Services medal.
- Awarded the Queen’s Golden and Diamond Jubilee medals.
- Trained as an Advanced Navigation and Combat Control specialist and commanded HMC Ships CHALEUR, MIRAMICHI and IROQUOIS, the First Canadian Destroyer Squadron and Maritime Command.
- Educational background includes a Bachelor of Arts from Carleton University, and completion of the Canadian Forces Command and Staff College.
- Held several public service positions including as Associate Deputy Minister and Deputy Minister of Fisheries and Oceans and Deputy Minister of Veterans Affairs Canada.
- Past Chair of the Board of the Public Policy Forum; first Chair of the Veterans Ombudsman Advisory Committee.
- Retired from public service in 2007.
- Since retiring has served in various part time roles such as external Member of the National Defence Audit Committee and external Chair of the Privy Council Audit Committee.
- Past President of the Nova Scotia Mainland division of The Navy League of Canada.
- Enjoys sports, gardening and volunteering and along with wife Claudia Buckley, spending time with their six children and five grandchildren.