Lost medals or service records

We understand that your military medals, awards and service records are valuable to you and your loved ones. Information on how to replace lost medals or records, or obtain ones to which you were entitled, is available below.

Lost medals

Information on service medals or records is available on the Government of Canada website.  

  • Veterans Affairs Canada is responsible for first issue or replacement medals for those who served in the Second World War, Merchant Navy and the Korean War. Please contact 1-866-522-2122 or visit Government of Canada website
  • If you served after the Korea War, please contact National Defence at 1-877-741-8332 or visit Government of Canada website 

If you have tried to obtain replacement medals or entitlement but have been unsuccessful or if you would like advice on related subjects such as recovering stolen medals, identifying medals, returning found medals to family, or mounting and displaying medals, our Medals Adviser can help. Please email your question to Dominion Command at veteransservices@legion.ca and indicate in the subject line "For Medals Adviser".

Dominion Command’s Medals Adviser is Major (Retired) W.E. (Gary) Campbell, a former member of the Canadian Armed Forces.

For mounting and displaying medals, we encourage you to contact the militaria business in your area.

Service records

Due to privacy and confidentiality policies, Dominion Command does not release contact information or information on the service records of Veterans or Legion members. When researching military records, we recommend you contact Library and Archives Canada.