Youth and Remembrance
The Royal Canadian Legion is committed to ensuring youth understand and continue the tradition of Remembrance.
Youth Poster and Literary Contest
The Royal Canadian Legion, in partnership with schools across the country and with The Legion National Foundation, promote remembrance and support youth education through the annual poster and literary contests. Learn more.
This Teaching Guide was developed by the Legion to assist primary and secondary school teachers in fostering the Tradition of Remembrance among Canada’s youth. It’s important that today’s youth have a fundamental understanding of how Veterans defended the freedom and democracy that we enjoy today.
The guide includes:
- Notes on Canadian military history, the Legion and important Canadian symbols
- Remembrance themes in stories, songs and poems, and suggestions for school Remembrance activities
- Information about the Poppy campaign and how the money donated is used
- Information on our National Poster and Literary Contests
Activities for youth
A few ideas to get youth engaged in the Poppy Campaign at home.
1. Draw, paint, or colour poppies or images of Remembrance and put it in your window.
2. Paint a poppy on a stone and place them at the gravesites of Canadian Veterans.
3. Craft your own paper poppy.
Make a poppy using sheets of red and black paper, twist ties, glue, and scissors. Get the instructions here!
Encouraging youth to get involved
Legion Branches support youth involvement in Remembrance in a variety of ways. From holding Remembrance ceremonies at schools, to speaking with students and youth organizations about Veterans, to inviting youth to participate in community and Branch commemorative services, to inviting Cadets to help with the Poppy Campaign, and much more, Legion Branches offer youth many opportunities to get involved and participate in honouring and Remembering Canada's Veterans.
In addition to promoting Remembrance among the next generation, the Legion also supports youth leadership, fitness and the spirit of patriotism and service. Learn more...