To help Canada’s youth educators develop an understanding and appreciation for Remembrance Day, and encourage youth to participate, the Legion National Foundation, with the assistance of The Royal Canadian Legion, created a teaching guide to assist primary and secondary schools in teaching students about the tradition of Remembrance and our military history.
The guide addresses the following subjects:
- Brief notes on Canadian military history and The Royal Canadian Legion
- Important Canadian symbols
- Remembrance themes in stories, songs and poems
- Information about the annual Poppy campaign and how the money donated is used
- Information concerning The Legion National Foundation National Poster, Literary and Video Contests
- Suggested school Remembrance activities
In addition to the information available in the guide, your local branch of The Royal Canadian Legion can be of assistance, offering support in organizing ceremonies, and sharing their experiences. Find your local Branch.
Download the Teachers' Guide