David Flannigan is the immediate past Dominion President of the Legion. He is Vice Chairman of two Dominion Command committees, including The Royal Commonwealth Ex-Services League, and Sports.
He first joined the Legion at the Lawn, Newfoundland and Labrador Branch #58 in 1975, and later transferred to the Labrador City Branch #47, in 1978. He has since served in various roles at the Branch, Zone, District and Provincial Command levels.
- Elected Dominion President in 2016.
- Past member of the first Cadet Corp formed in 1968 in Lawn, Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Served as Cadet Liaison Officer at the Labrador City Branch.
- Served in the Canadian Armed Forces in 1975, later receiving a medical discharge.
- Awarded the Meritorious Service Medal in 2013.
- Awarded the Queen’s Golden Jubilee Medal in 2002, and the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Medal in 2012.
- Recipient of the Sovereign’s Medal for Volunteers in 2017.
- Educational background includes training as a certified millwright with a range of expertise such as crane repair and certification, and as a lifting equipment inspector.
- Worked with the Iron Ore Company of Canada for 29 years.
- Started a business called Tool Maintenance Plus, later selling the operation and remaining as an employee until 2013.
- Works part time as an Overhead Door and Crane Planner with Labrador Rewinding Inc.
- Chaired the annual Toys for Joys committee for seven years, and is the Legion’s local committee representative.
- Sits on the Executive Board of the Annual Hospital Telethon in support of the local hospital in Labrador City, which he has supported since 1983.
- Enjoys the outdoors including snowmobiling, boating, fishing, hunting, hockey, soccer and playing pool.
- With wife Vera, combined, they have seven children, thirteen grandchildren and one great-grandchild.